Since World War I scientists have known that viruses can cause neuroinflammation. You might be harboring a virus, bacteria, mold, parasite, heavy metal or other toxins that all have the potential to cause chronic inflammation in your nervous system. Chronic headaches, migraines, nerve pain, depression, anxiety, and constipation are all signs you have neuroinflammation. In this episode Dr. Jannine Krause discusses how she is seeing a rise in neuroinflammation in her practice due to chronic infections causing leaky guts and blood brain barriers.
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode:
• How infections damage your gut and brain barriers
• Why it’s key to clear chronic infections to achieve optimal health
• What tests are essential for assessing neuroinflammation
• What to do right now to restore your gut and brain barriers
Resources from the Show:
1) Infections to look for: Serum EBV, CMV, HSV1/2/6, ASO Strep antibodies, Chlamydia and Mycoplasma pneumonia IgG and M and gut stuff
3) Homocystine, fasting blood sugar and hemoglobin A1c – all tests via blood
4) Cytokines can be tested via blood to assess how many cytokines are being produced in the system – cytokine sickness – fever, loss of appetite, lethargy, listlessness, and decreased interaction socially
5) Heavy MetalsProfile II – blood- Lab Corp/Quest – arsenic, lead, mercury, cadmium
6) Food and Environmental allergy testing – envirotesting with Allovate
Food Sensitivity Testing – Alcat or food journals
7) Leaky BBB/Gut testing with Zonulin- included in GI mapping and Doctor’s Data CDSA – links above
8) Mycotox by GPL – molds – molds mess B12 processing and can cause neuropsych sxs – common with chronic neurological issues
9) GPL OAT test – tells you how your cells doing in the metabolism department
10) Get your hormones checked as they are a big part of all of this – regular labs blood test -estradiol, progesterone, pregnenolone, testosterone (free and total), DHEA-S, Sex Hormone Binding Gobulin, Thyroid hormones – TSH, free T3, free T4
11) Neurotransmitter testing – via urine – this is in the OAT testing (see above) however specific neurotransmitter testing might be indicated in cases of depression, anxiety, and PMDD.
Treatments to Calm Neuroinflammation:
1) In acute and chronic nerve inflammation – (post-TBI/concussions especially) use Cover Three – created by an ND to repair the brain – has curcumin, transresveratrol, omega 3’s, uridine, alpha GPC (alpha glycerophosphocholine) and vitamin C
***#1 and 2 start right away***
2) Stop inflammation- neurosteroids – to balance hormones – progesterone – 200-400 mg before bed in post menopausal ladies, In pre-menopausal ladies 100-200 before bed day 1-14 and 200-400 mg day 15-28
– Guys can use progesterone if Testosterone levels normal 50-100 mg before bed and pregnenolone – 100-400 mg before bed.
3) Stop sugar or greatly limit it as it is a direct contributor to brain and nerve inflammation
4) Fix the Blood Brain Barrier (BBB) – CBD is great here, omega 3’s (flax oil or Fish Oil – Nordic Naturals ProOmega 2,000, Boswelya Plus Ayush – 2 caps twice a day, Curcum Evail Designs for Health – 2 twice a day
6) Clear heavy metals – 1/4 cup organic cilantro/parsley a day; , avoid inflammatory foods, eat closest to nature, clean up hygiene and cleaning products; try to avoid environmental irritants
7) Enhance Your Cells Ability to Detox – Glutathione boosting with NAC (Pure Encapsulations), Vitamin C (Allergy Research) and tocotrienols – (Anatto E Designs For Health0. They clear hydrogen peroxide- a bi-product of cellular metabolism.
8) CLEAR IRRITANTS OUT OF THE BRAIN and balance amino acids:
FOR THE VERY IRRITATED, ANXIOUS, AGITATED BRAIN – GLUTAMATE CLEARING can be helpful – NAC N-Acetyl-Cysteine – 500 mg (Pure Encapsulations) twice a day long term – pulls glutamate out of the brain – especially for those with use of lots of processed foods
** NOTE:(do not use NAC if you have a sulfur allergy or sulfur processing mutation. Also do not use this for anyone who is bipolar). Use molybdenum instead to clear glutamate out of the brain. 500 mcg molybdenum daily x 1 month – maintenance daily dose after one month 100-300 mcg molybdenum a day.
– can use lithium orotate 5 mg to interrupt Na+ channel so slows glutamate uptake
**fun fact – this is used for gambling addictions too
** psychosis** if you are experiencing this – please seek an integrative psychiatrist who can help with management of this condition
CALM GLUTAMATE RECEPTORS – theanine (Natural Factors), magnesium (Buffered Magnesium Designs for Health), 5HTP (Source Naturals), decrease estrogen dominance (DIM Pro – Pure Encapsulations)
REDUCE HISTAMINES – 1-2 grams a day OF Vitamin B5 – Pantothenic Acid (Pure Encapsulations) WITH 1 gram a day Buffered VITAMIN C (Integrative Therapeutics or Allergy Research) each meal
HMC – hesperidin best flavonoid for histamine clearing – 1,000 mg a day – Douglas Labs
Muscle Spasticity – Glycine – Vital Nutrients 3-6 grams a night acute and 1-3 g chronic
Sleep – amitriptyline 12.5-50 mg (Prescription Only) Qhs or glycine if not tried it
A Few More Things I Mentioned…
• More of my episodes on brain health – ep 72, 40 and 41
• Accelerated Health Products – Silver and Iodine – interview with Sara Banta on these products – Ep 139
• Reduce Toxins in Your Home
• How to Get Started with CBD Oil
Enjoy The Show? Never Miss An Episode
• Subscribe, Rate and Review the show in iTunes
• Subscribe via Stitcher or RSS feed
• Send us feedback via Email
• Leave a comment below
Want to learn more about how to optimize your health? Click Below Now!