Stomach pain is a common reason for going to the doctor and in some cases the ER. Most of the time stomach pain resolves itself with time but what causes it? For a lot of folks stomach pain can rule their life and ruin their social schedule. In this episode Dr. Jannine Krause breaks down ways to sleuth out what’s causing your stomach pain and what to do about it so you can be your own digestive specialist.
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode:
• What habits cause stomach pain
• Why you need to know your abdominal anatomy
• How ice cold food slows digestion & causes pain
• What your stomach has to say about your mood
Resources From This Episode:
• WebMD’s – Anatomy of the Abdomen
• Histamine-Rich Foods (including fermented foods):
o Alcoholic beverages, especially beer and wine.
o Cheeses, especially aged or fermented cheese, such as parmesan, blue and Roquefort.
o Cider and home-made root beer.
o Dried fruits such as apricots, dates, prunes, figs and raisins (you may be able to eat these fruits – without reaction – if the fruit is thoroughly washed).
o Fermented foods, such as pickled or smoked meats, sauerkraut, etc.
o Processed meats – sausage, hot dogs, salami, etc.
o Smoked fish – herring, sardines, etc.
o Sour cream, sour milk, buttermilk, yogurt – especially if not fresh.
o Soured breads, such as pumpernickel, coffee cakes and other foods made with large amounts of yeast.
o Spinach, tomatoes
o Vinegar or vinegar-containing foods, such as mayonnaise, salad dressing, ketchup, chili sauce, pickles, pickled beets, relishes, olives.
• Histamine-Releasing Foods:
• SUPPLEMENTS TO HELP BREAK DOWN PROTEINS & FATS:
o Digestzymes – Designs for Health
o Digestive Enzymes Ultra with HCL – Pure Encapsulations
o B.P.P. – Thorne (for protein break down issues)
o Dipan 9 – Thorne (for fat break down issues)
• Stomach Pain Quick Fix: Warm Water – 4-8 oz sip on it – brings blood flow to the stomach and relaxes the stomach muscles
• Food Stuck in the Stomach Feeling – 1 tsp fresh ginger (size of your thumbnail) – steep 15 minutes in boiling water – let cool to drinkable warm temperature before sipping
• Acid “Hot Burning” Stomach Feeling – ¼ tsp baking soda in 4-8 oz luke warm water
• Eat between 5-7p and not later to promote maximal digestion in the stomach as this time is prime stomach energy time according to Chinese Medicine theory
Enjoy The Show? Never Miss An Episode
• Subscribe, Rate and Review the show in iTunes
• Subscribe via Stitcher or RSS feed
• Send us feedback via Email
• Leave a comment below
How well you digest food is related to how well you age. Want to learn how to stay on top of your digestion as you get older? Click Below Now!