Do you let your pets lick your dishes when you’re done? Ever wonder if you and your pets share gut bugs? What’s the best food to support your pet and their microbiome? Recent research has confirmed this phenomenon and it’s benefits. Dr. Chris Bessent is a veterinary doctor, owner of 2 pet food companies and a pet supplement company. In this episode of The Health Fix Podcast, Dr. Jannine Krause and Dr. Chris Bessent talk all about pet microbiomes, the gut health axis and what’s really in your pet’s food.
What You’ll Learn in The Show:
- Why it’s common for dogs to have GI issues
- How your dog’s microbiome reflects yours
- Why Milk Bones are like Snickers Bars for dogs
- Freeze dried duck necks and beef livers are great snacks for dogs
- What’s really in your dog’s food?
- Why chemicals found in spoiled meat are allowed in higher amounts in dog food & these chemicals aka biogenic amines can be tested!
- If dog food says any type of “meal” it could have meat from diseased and dying animals
- Anxiety in your pet can be a microbiome issue
- Excessive carbohydrate consumption causes pancreatitis in dogs because they don’t have pancreatic amylase
Resources from the Show:
- Microbiome of dog reflects owner’s microbiome – new study on Elderly pet owners
- List of Pet Foods that are safe – Susan Thixton – The Truth About Pet Food – https://truthaboutpetfood.com/ – https://truthaboutpetfood.com/the-list/ (It’s a paid list – proceeds go to pet consumer advocacy- Dr. Chris’s products are on this list.)
- Medicus Veterinary Diets – whole foods for pets with illnesses
- Simple Food Project – Food & Treats for Cats & Dogs
- Herb Smith Inc – Herbs and supplements for your pets