Is it the full moon, the weather or does everyone cycle through anxious, depressed pissed off hot mess states? Have you ever been so worked up that everything seemed spinning out of control? Ever noticed that there seems to be a rhythm and cyclical pattern to the ebb and flow of feeling ok and out of control? In this episode Doc J breaks down reasons for why we cycle in and out of control and how to get off the crazy train.
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode:
• Why you are your own worst enemy
• How imbalanced hormones create chaos
• How poor diet choices compound emotional turmoil
• Why stress management skills are live savers
Resources From This Episode:
• Astrology and Horoscope Calendar
• Lunacy and The Full Moon – Scientific American Mind
• The Moon and Madness Reconsidered
• The Influence of Lunar Phases on Complications in Cataract Surgery: An Analysis of 16,965 Patients
• Serum Testosterone Levels and Symptom-Based Depression Subtypes in Men – Front Psychiatry. 2015; 6: 61.
• ACTION STEPS TO GAIN CONTROL OF CYCLICAL HOT MESS “SYNDROME”
MAIN AREAS OF STRESS MANAGEMENT WE STRUGGLE WITH AS HUMANS:
– 1) Schedule 2) Relationships (including the one with ourselves) 3) Work Choices (doing jobs that don’t feed our soul or align with our purpose) 4) Organizing 5) Learn from Mistakes and Adjust Accordingly
#1 SCHEDULE – what can you control? What can you say no to? What’s priority to you & only you?
– It’s time to slowdown – don’t squeeze in something for every moment in a day – schedule in breaks
– body check in before commitment – ask yourself does this decision make me feel good, give me a stomach ache or make me hate life
– think, feel, decide – before you say yes to something
– it’s very important to think about your emotional reaction when saying yes to something – if your first though is NO then you backpedal and debate – it’s still a NO.
– Trying to do it all – full social and work schedule – juggling too many hobbies or commitments – So common – what is most important to you and you get a benefit from it? Ex: better mood, time with friends, relaxation, laugh…
– Why are you trying to go to certain events – what’s in for you? Is it worth it to sacrifice other things like rest?
#2 RELATIONSHIPS – huge area – how many vampires have you collected? Vampires = people that suck you dry. You think you are helping them, being a good person, they don’t have anyone else to help them (you know the dialogue in your head) – what do you get out of being sucked dry?
– Problems in relationships occur when there isn’t equal give/take/respect – when you have a vampire they take till there’s nothing more and they manipulate – that makes you crazy
– ARE YOU – YOUR OWN VAMPIRE? – are you beating up on yourself – life, weight, goals etc not where you want them? – most folks are unhappy for basic reasons – they hate themselves for something that they did/do or that happened to them or what they are allowing to happen to them
– Do you let people walk all over you = too nice syndrome?
– Do you look at your life and think this isn’t what I wanted
– No sugar coating here – you have to own your own issues and work on it – no one else is going to save you from yourself – this is a major source of hot mess factor
– We all have traumas that are big deals to us – honor that – some have more tragic stories than others but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t think that you’re fight isn’t a big deal. Everyone has a story, a history and needs some therapy one way or the other. There is no such thing as a perfect life. You gotta deal with what bothers you – we all gotta deal it’s how we deal that gets us out of the hot mess. Survival of the most adapted!
#3 WORK CHOICES – are you challenged, fulfilled, living your purpose? If you can’t get a job in it – make a hobby of it – life’s work doesn’t have to be how you get paid …at first … there’s always that side hustle!
– so many people throw themselves into a hot mess because they hate their work or the situation in which they work – see if you can make it more what you want and if not move on – ex: 4 day work weeks; come in late or leave early certain days, longer lunches to walk etc whatever – negotiate this OR work on your work environment – surround yourself with what makes you happy
#4 ORGANIZATION – well oiled machines keep you chill
– home, work, life
– make routines/systems for every process in your life – dial it in – run your home and work like a fast food chain – systems and processes for everything so there’s no guessing – it’s ok to be predictable in this case – organization and systems make life run smoothly
#5 MAKE CHANGES WHEN THERE ARE MISTAKES
– do not overload your schedule if doesn’t benefit you
– say NO often – you are not a bad person – it’s self preservation
– schedule breaks and make time for vacations
– what else can you change right now that isn’t working for you
Once you have stress management in check it’s time to work on the other things that cyclically bother folks – HORMONES AND DIET!
1) Eat foods closest to nature and balance your food groups.
Eat every 3-4 hours to keep blood sugar in check
– Higher Protein and fat breakfasts and lunch with higher carb dinners. Always 6-8 cups of veggies.
– Ex: Breakfast or Lunch: ½ cup ground turkey with 1 cup zucchini, ½ cup onions and ½ cup mushrooms sautéed together with 1 tbsp of avocado oil.
Dinner: 4 oz chicken, 1 medium sweet potato – ½ tsp grass fed butter, 8 spears of asparagus, 2 cups mixed greens, 1 roma tomato, ½ cucumber, 1 carrot, diced with 1 tbsp of olive oil vinaigrette
Snacks: veggies, fruit
2) LADIES – Hormone balance – seed cycle to support hormones. If you are in menopause – you can choose one of the types of seeds below from each category and take 2 tablespoons a day as your dosage. Ex: flax and sunflower seeds daily. ** Note – it’s best to grind the seeds yourself as they will have better amounts of the good fats your body needs from the seeds as the longer the seeds are on the shelf pre-ground the more they lose their nutritional value. I recommend grinding a batch weekly and storing them in the fridge or freezer to maintain freshness.
DAYS 1-14 – start of blood flow to ovulation – support the body’s natural production of estrogen.
1 Tablespoon of organic flax seeds. 1 Tablespoon of raw ground pumpkin seeds.
DAYS- 15–28 or start of the next cycle – this is where your body shifts from estrogen production to progesterone production.
1 Tablespoon of raw organic ground sesame seeds (tahini works here too). 1 Tablespoon of organic raw ground sunflower seeds.
GUYS: 1 Tablespoon of organic chia seeds. 1 Tablespoon of raw organic pumpkin seeds.
This is useful daily to support male hormone balance.
3) Pretreat yourself prior to full moons – Ladies: if you cycle with the full moon at new moons – mid cycle increase vitamin D, Mg rich foods from midcycle to the start of your cycle.
If you’re a guy or a gal that’s not having periods any longer it’s good to have vitamin D and magnesium rich foods everyday.
Salmon, Tuna, Mushrooms, Whole Raw Milk, Eggs – not into these foods? A vitamin D supplement or Fish Oil can help with this. Check out Nordic Naturals Pro Omega.
Magnesium rich foods: Dark leafy greens, grass fed butter, avocado, pumpkin seeds, sea vegetables, raw nuts, wild caught fish, dark chocolate, sprouts, Himalayan sea salt.
Magnesium supplement: Designs for Health Buffered Magnesium Chelate.
4) Get Connected with Nature at least once a week – take walks, mini hikes or go at night and check out the moon. Save a few minutes each week to walk on grass with bare feet – earthing – it’s fun! Channel your inner kid and play with your kids, dog or – go play on a play ground nearby – or at least swing on the swings. Take a break and listen to the birds, watch a sunset or sit by a river, lake or take time to go to the ocean. Head out to the country, mountains, desert or forest and take a hike. We are still cavepeople and need to reconnect with nature. Head somewhere to get away from the traffic noise, sirens and planes flying overhead and put away your cell phone to purely enjoy nature and all it has to offer.
Enjoy The Show? Never Miss An Episode
• Subscribe, Rate and Review the show in iTunes
• Subscribe via Stitcher or RSS feed
• Send us feedback via Email
• Leave a comment below
Not sure if your hormones are to blame for feeling out of control as you get older? How well age is related to keeping hormones in check. Want to learn how to stay on top of your hormone balance as you get older? Click Below Now!